Wednesday, January 27, 2010

{in season now: kale}

image via {marthastewart}
Kale. Kale. Have you heard of it before? Up until this last year, I had never heard the word. Kale is one of those dark, leafy green vegetables. While, spinach has always been one of my favorites, kale has moved up on the list (and maybe even surpassed my dear spinach). Kale is a more hardy green unlike the delicate baby spinach we often eat in salads. I love adding kale to my soups and pastas because its hardiness is enough to stand up to moisture and will still have that bit of crunch (versus sogginess) that I love so much. Kale is an excellent source of vitamins A and C, as well as a good source of calcium and potassium. If you haven't tried kale yet, or haven't enjoyed it in the past, try some of my favorite recipes below- you may just love it!

Kale and Potato Soup with Sausage- I like to half the amount of sausage and stir 1/2 cup of skim milk before serving for a bit of creaminess. Try substituting sweet potato for the regular potatoes- the spice and sweet of the sweet potato really balance nicely. This is probably my favorite winter soup.
Kale Chips- I spray PAM in place of the olive oil...seems easier to me
Tossed in any pasta dish- I like whole wheat orzo, kale, roasted bell peppers tossed in a garlic and balsamic vinegarette or this one- Spaghetti with Braised Kale
Giant Chipotle White Beans- I usually half or quarter the cheese just because I am not the biggest cheese fan. or try the original.
Kale and Potato Puree- I usually substitute skim or 1% for the cream.

More info about kale

No comments:

Post a Comment