Saturday, November 7, 2009

in season now: apples

image via powerpoint
Apples. Have you noticed that they are virtually everywhere this time of year? Well, I have. In fact, just last week I was given a 10 lb bag of apples and immediately thought, "What in the world am I going to do with a 10 lb bag of apples?" Ya, I was pretty much stumped. So after some research, I am here to tell you- it can be done!

Before I show you what may be new ways to use them, I feel like it is my duty to tell you of the nutritional components and benefits of apples. Besides being a good source of vitamin C, apples are a fantastic source of fiber. One large apple contains about 5 grams or 20% of your daily fiber recommended intake.

Washington has an excellent database of apple ideas and recipes- a lot of things of which I hadn't ever thought. Here are a few of my favorite uses for apples as of late:

Applesauce served alone or with pork chops

Apple Butter
Apple Butter (if you intend on canning it)
Apple Chips
Muffins
Apple Crisp
Sausage and Apple Stuffing (I like to use chicken sausage, whole wheat bread, and omit the liver)
Chicken Salad with Apple and Basil (Try substituting thinly sliced spinach or tarragon or mixing in a good spoonful of plain yogurt for that creamy taste.)
Cheddar and Apple Sandwich (try it like a panini)

Be sure to check out Eat Right's Top 10 Ways to Enjoy Apples
!

Do you have any favorite apple recipes?

2 comments:

  1. I was wondering if you could help me with some ideas on snacks that aren't too expensive that I could take with me to school. I spend most of my time away from my house and need some snacking ideas for when I am at shcool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anonymous,

    See our post on Thursday, September 17th. It has some great suggestions! http://suunutrition.blogspot.com/search/label/healthy%20snacks

    ReplyDelete